The Chair funded by the AXA Research Fund aims at creating an academic full-time position. The AXA Professor may combine teaching activities with research work, in compliance with the policy of the hosting institution.
Institutions may apply for one of the following funding schemes:
Endowed Chairs: the institution is expected to invest the capital and fund the Chair from the interests
- Distinguished Permanent Chair (up to 4m€)
- Distinguished Visiting Chair (up to 3m€)
- Visiting Chair (up to 2m€)
Non-endowed Fixed-term Chair (up to 100k€/y): the institution can use the capital and interests to fund the program (3 to 5 years)
In 2013, there will be two dates upon which you will be able to submit your application,bearing in mind that your institution is allowed to submit only one application during the year, either for an endowed or a fixed-term chair.
Institutions are invited to submit their application till February 22nd 2013 (noon, Paris time) with AXA Scientific Board’s decision to be released on July 26th 2013.
Should institutions wish so, they may submit their application till June 14th 2013 (noon, Paris time) with AXA Scientific Board’s decision about their application to be released on December 13th 2013.
1. Request for an application form: The Institution Representative has to declare its intent of applying to the AXA Research Fund by email: email@example.com . He/she will be contacted by a Development and Partnership Officer of the AXA Research Fund to discuss over the phone the institution’s plan, the contemplated scheme (endowed/fixed-term, permanent/visiting Chair), the involvement of the presidence/rectorate in this initiative. Upon completion of this stage, he/she will then be sent a login and password to gain access to the application platform.
2. Application: The Institution is responsible for filling out the application form online.
3. Review of application
- Review by academic referees of international stature
- Final selection by the Scientific Board of the AXA Research Fund
4. Selection criteria
-The institution’s reputation for academic excellence
- Quality of its research: publications in scientific reviews, presence of internationally renowned researchers
- Relationship to the international community: international impact of the research carried out, success in attracting top-tier foreign researchers
- Quality of the research environment and working conditions offered to researchers through the Chair
- The ambition and robustness of the institution’s long-term strategy
- Quality of the prospection and recruitment process to hire faculty (this criterion is not relevant for non-endowed short-term chairs)
The Chair Program
- The academic excellence of the Chair program
- The scientific originality and innovative nature of the program
- The Chair’s contribution to strengthening international networks
- Consistency between the Chair program and the long-term development policy of the institution
- Operational strength and quality of the organization set up to support this Chair (including a realistic and coherent budget)
The Prospective Chair holder
- Academic excellence of Chair holder
- Chairholders must have acquired an international reputation rate in their scientific field and possess an outstanding track record.
5. Communication of results: The Fund informs the institution’s legal representative and operational contact